Austrian artist LIA is considered one of the pioneers of software and net art and has been producing works since 1995. Her practice spans across video, performance, software, installations, sculpture, projections and digital applications.
The artist’s primary working material is code, which consists of LIA translating a concept into a formal written structure that then can be used to create a “machine” that generates real-time multimedia outputs. Since her concept is fluid – opposed to the formality of the written code that requires engineered precision – the translation process between machine and artist can be viewed like a conversation. The process is repeated until LIA is satisfied with the machine’s interpretation; at which point the generative framework, in which the artwork can develop, is considered finished.
LIA’s works combine traditions of drawing and painting with the aesthetics of digital images and algorithms, characterised by a minimalist quality and by an affinity with conceptual art. She focuses on the translation of certain experienced principles into abstract forms, movements and colours in order to allow the viewer to explore the same on a subconscious level.
LIA lives and works in Vienna.
• online project www.re-move.org ->
now available again through Rhizome: https://anthology.rhizome.org/re-move >>>
• (formerly online) project Turux.at: www.turux.at >>>
• audio-visual collaboration with @c: www.at-c.org >>>
• cofounder of the label: www.cronicaelectronica.org >>>
• iPhone Software Art Applications: www.iphoneart.org
• Mechanical plotter drawings:
• Fine art prints for sale: Fine art prints >>>
• Videos for sale on s[edition]: www.seditionart.com/lia
• Videos for sale on Meural: my.meural.com/
• Generative software art on FRAMED*: https://frm.fm/a/lia
• iPhone apps: https://itunes.apple.com/us/developer/lia/id316591840
• Filament Sculptures: If you are interested in buying some models (or any other work of mine), please contact me via email (lia |at| liaworks |dot| com).
And something COMPLETELY different
+++ LIA also runs a vegetarian FOOD BLOG, check it out!